Easy Low Carb Shortbread 'Hedgehog' Cookies
These adorable and trendy hedgehog cookies are the perfect low carb, low sugar recipe to make with your kids!
Annie from Keto Focus brings us a fun recipe that combines the buttery deliciousness of a low carb egg-free shortbread cookie base, with the fun of decorating with low sugar options.
Use our delicious dark chocolate chips to outline and fill in the hedgehog and decorate with sprinkles, candies or anything else you can dream up! These are ideal cookies for a fun keto baking project that you can do with your kids--an easy shortbread recipe with a fun result!
Makes 24 hedgehog cookies. Macros per serving (1 cookie):
Calories: 218 | Fat: 21.3 g | Net Carbs: 2.5 g | Protein: 3.5 g
- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup monk fruit or erythritol
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 bag ChocZero Dark Chocolate Baking Chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Sift together almond flour, coconut flour, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sweetener and vanilla in a medium bowl. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
- Move cookie dough to a sheet of plastic wrap. Mold into a flat disc shape and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place cookie dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough until it is ¼ inch thick. Cut out hedgehog shape with cookie cutter and place about 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking tray. Return to the refrigerator to cool for another 10-15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking tray for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Melt ChocZero Dark Chocolate Baking Chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe dish at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between. Add chocolate to a piping bag and decorate the hedgehog cookie.
How to Make an Easy Low Carb Hedgehog Cookie:
Annie walks us through how to make these adorable low carb hedgehog shortbread cookies in our step-by-step video.
More Delicious Keto Cookie Recipes
- For another kid friendly cookie recipe, try our Keto Frosted Animal Cookies.
- You can't go wrong with a Single Serve Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Filled Cookie.
- If you're looking for a "grown up" shortbread cookie, look no further than our Cherry Almond Keto Shortbread Cookies
Have you and your kids made these hedgehog cookies? Share your photos with us on Instagram by tagging them with #ChocZero!